Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Don't Want To Forget

So I’ve been doing some thinking. About many different things. Things important to me, and things not so important to me. About family and friends. About electronics and cars. About my past and my future. Most of the time these thoughts have been narcissistic and self-glorifying. But there have been a few times I have thought along other lines as well.

There’s a lot playing on my mind of late, and applications (to universities for graduate programs) are not at all helping my case. There are so many confusing forms to fill out; so many queries in my mind. There are times when I feel like ditching the whole process – who cares! Aargh! I don’t want to study within the constraints of the system. I want to learn. How can someone tell me what to learn? Why should I follow a fixed and defined path? After all there’s so much more to life than text book knowledge, right?

Consider this - a friend of mine recently lost a relative. When someone loses another person close to them what do you say to them? Do you say anything? What does social protocol demand of you?

“Hey, I believe you lost so-and-so. I’m so sorry.”

Is that enough?

Are you really sorry? Or are you just doing what is customary?

Can you take away that person’s pain? And maybe I should have led with this – is it right to take away that person’s pain?

Maybe the mourner doesn’t want to forget. Maybe the mourner just wants to hold on to the beautiful memories a little longer.

Life’s tough. Hang in there buddy.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, unfortunately, there is a protocol to achieve anything. Though learning in its real sense has no protocol yet the world has created certain landmarks with the achievement of which u become a certified learner.
    Secondly, it is not always necessary 'to console by speaking'. Many a times your presence with silence does the job perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Visitors